Thursday 30 October 2008

What a difference a week makes...erm.. 168 little hours

So in my last blog entry I told you that "My aim for October was to have a placement sorted before it was time to go trick or treating" well as I sit here deciding weather to be a Edward Scissor Hands or Freddy Kruger I am pleased to inform you that I have an interview with Trimedia U.K a Leeds based P.R company, and I am very hopeful about my chances. The interview is not until next Friday so I am going to keep all my eggs out of my basket and continue to apply to P.R companies in Leeds.

This week I have also attended a meeting with the guys and girls who run the Students Union and they have lots of events and campaigns that they need P.R and Marketing students to get involved with. The meeting was only attended by four students, myself included, so it was suggested by Lewis Coakley (S.U president) that we become the P.R and Marketing department for the S.U. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience in putting on real events and working with campaigns that will actually affect people, which I can use in my P.A.C.E portfolio.

Tomorrow I have a meeting with Stacey Ellis a 2nd year Events Management student who is putting on an event in February a the Civic Quarter. Stacey last year organized a fashion show, which raised money for B-eat a charity which helps people with eating disorders. This year I will be helping Stacey to organize the event, and this time we are going for a type of "Fashion Rocks" event, which is basically a fashion show with live music from bands and D.J's. I will keep you up to date with our progress.

I am currently reading The fall of advertising and the Rise of P.R by Ries and Ries, and working through The Business Environment by Otter and Wetherley. The latter forms the topics for the Organization and Environment module, this is the one that I am finding the most difficult as it includes complex economics, something which I have not studied before. Hopefully soon I will be able to tell you exactly what caused the subprime crisis and what the word “recession” actually means.

No comments: